The pretty, tucked away, church of St Andrew, Aldringham has one of the prettiest, if not the prettiest churchyards in Suffolk. At this time of year, the whole area is ablaze with wild flowers; at least 30 different species are easily identifiable and it is no surprise that Steve Massey, the local naturalist, and Suffolk Wildlife Trust take tours through the Churchyard. There has been a church here, now just off the Aldringham to Thorpeness road, since at least 1185 and the churchyard headstones record many well-known local names.
Although the graveyard is large it has been in use for centuries, and available space for new graves in this beautiful setting had become limited. We were overjoyed when a local landowner most generously gifted the church a plot of almost one acre adjoining the then existing churchyard. David Copp, the newly elected Churchwarden paid tribute to the parishioners who have worked hard to landscape this new space which for now has been cultivated as a wild flower meadow, as it will be many years before headstones cover the area. This will add greatly to the diversity of flora and fauna already to be found in the churchyard.
Now we have reached the point for the new graveyard to be consecrated so that it can be used for burials. We are delighted that Bishop Mike, Bishop of Dunwich, will be coming to Aldringham on Saturday 15 July to lead a short service in the church followed by the consecration outside in the graveyard. The service will be at 3pm and there will be more details on our Facebook page. The Parishioners extend an open invitation to all those who love the churchyard to come and celebrate with us, knowing that there will be ample space for our loved ones, and indeed ourselves, to be laid to rest here among the wild flowers.
Contacts: Mark Lowther, Priest-in-Charge (email@example.com - 01728 452807)
David Copp, Churchwarden (firstname.lastname@example.org - 01728 635816)