Fruit Tree & Orchard Training
In February 2013 STOG (Suffolk Traditional Orchard Group) started a new round of courses
There are some great Orchard training opportunities coming up.
- Fruit tree grafting. Last year we planned to run three grafting courses and in the end ran five grafting courses in Suffolk and all were fully booked. This year we are asking first to establish, if we can, how many would like to attend.
- Traditional orchard planting, last year we ran three courses but spread over the year. We have scheduled three this year, two this winter and one next summer – designed to assist those of you planning to plant amenity orchards next winter.
- A separate fruit and fruit tree day course on the 23rd March is organized by SWT and that should be booked through SWT, and will carry a fee – see http://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/whats-on/fruit-trees-and-small-orchards-23-3-2013/. This programme will cover the whole range of fruit growing issues including garden planting,
- Training for orchard surveyors is designed to prepare new STOG parish surveyors . We run these as and when required, probably about three times over the year.
We have set aside the following days in late winter 2013, and would like those of you that would like to attend please contact Paul Read at email@example.com as soon as possible, so that we can define which locations and dates (perhaps all of them) are most suitable, and if we have underestimated the demand. We plan to run the following courses at Foxburrow Farm, Melton and in Thrandeston near Eye, and would also ask those of you that would find Ringsfield near Beccles a satisfactory location to let Paul know.
- Sat 02-Mar-13 So you want to plant an orchard? Thrandeston near Eye.
- Sat 23-Mar-13 All about orchards! Organised by Suffolk Wildlife Trust at Foxburrow Farm, Melton
In addition we plan to run a grafting course at Ringsland near Beccles in March 2013.
Later this year there will be courses on fruit identification.
So please let me know as soon as possible so we can send out a Calendar of Events with the next STOG Newsletter.
New and Old Orchards for Suffolk - Orchard Surveys
We are always recruiting new surveyors! Some parishes have completed their surveys, but there are plenty of parishes waiting for someone to discover their wonderful old and new orchards. If you’d like to find out about the orchards in your area and contribute to our knowledge about Suffolk’s heritage, please contact us.
Genevieve Broad MIEEM
New and Old Orchards for Suffolk,
Suffolk Traditional Orchard Group,
c/o SBRC, Ipswich Museum, High St, Ipswich IP1 3QH.
Please note that I work one day a week, usually Friday.