Would you like AONB Volunteers to work on your task or project?
I am currently drawing up a new Suffolk Coast & Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Volunteer practical work programme for the upcoming year from June 2017 to March 2018 inclusive.
The AONB is seeking to broaden the range of projects that its practical conservation volunteers undertake. There will be more focus on Geology (‘GeoDiversity’) and Heritage. ‘Heritage’ embraces historical, cultural, landscape etc. (there will continue to be room for biodiversity, but alongside these other aspects). This new ‘volunteering offer’ will happen throughout the year with some opportunities offered to AONB Volunteers ‘as they become available’.
If you have a suitable project(s) and/or site(s) within the AONB that our volunteers could potentially work with you on to progress or complete we’d be pleased to consider helping. We are especially interested in ‘landscape scale’ projects. For example if you are a Parish Council, do you have a Parish wide tree and hedge planting programme? Would you like to create a network of walks and/or rides or make physical access to your local heritage easier? Maybe you have a key landscape feature or habitat that needs a bit of work?
We cannot of course guarantee to work at all sites/on all projects suggested, but we need suggestions as a starting point!
For a task to be included in the new programme it would need to meet the following criteria:
1. Take place in the AONB or wider project area. See http://www.suffolkcoastandheaths.org/about-us/
2. Meet the AONB designation (book, verse & chapter is as follows ‘protect and enhance natural beauty whilst recognising the needs of the local community and economy. This includes the protection of flora, fauna and geological as well as landscape features. The conservation of archaeological, architectural and vernacular features in the landscape is also important’ - so no problems there!).
2. Meet the AONBs Management Plans.
3. Meet the AONBs Business Plans.
4. Enhance/conserve the landscape.
Before AONB Volunteers work on your task or project you will need to provide the following:
Confirmation of any AONB Volunteer activity counting as ‘match funding’ for your project.
It would be great to have some possible dates, tasks, projects etc. please, ideally by the end of May. I’m always happy to meet up to discuss, look at projects. We will assess all the ‘offers’ as they are made and compile a new programme as soon as we can. If you need any further information just let me know.
I hope that we can work together as part of the programme that is evolving!
Countryside Projects Officer
Suffolk Coast & Heaths AONB
Dedham Vale AONB & Stour Valley Project
Dock Lane, Melton, Woodbridge, Suffolk, IP12 1PE