Welcome to the Parish Website
Please note that due to a software problem where lists of files are displayed in left hand columns they are probably not shown in the desired sequence.
The parish consists of the villages of Aldringham, Thorpeness and part of the hamlet of Sizewell together with the areas in between these communities.
The purpose of the website is to provide an additional information and communication route for the residents of the parish in particular and everyone else in general.
From the site you can learn about the parish and its communities, read news and see what events are taking place here. As well as information about the area you can find details of local businesses and important contacts.
The Parish Past & Present area of the website holds a growing list of histories. Here is the obvious place to gather information and images before they're lost to time. Please let us know if you can add to this.
We hope you find the website useful, but we would like to know. Please give us your opinion by completing this simple form leaving your Feedback. Many thanks to those of you who have told us what you think - more comment would appreciated!
If you are a resident of the parish and feel
you could help in contributing to the site
please contact us. Please tell too us if you
spot any errors or omissions.
Make sure you know what's happening in and around the Parish...
- In the News & Events section see details of current Planning Applications in your neighbourhood (normally checked weekly, last updated on 21.10.16); read about the new Consumer Rights Act and of scams being tried on the internet and by doorstep or telephone callers on the Warnings page (normally updated weekly). There's a link to a webpage telling you how to spot fraudulent websites.
- The Good Neighbour Scheme may be able to help you, a relative or a friend - Minutes of AGMs and other updates are published on their page.
- Read about developments regarding the possibility of a Sizewell C Nuclear installation, including EDF's and the Sizewell C Joint Local Authorities Group's monthly updates, the Sizewell Parishes Liaison Group public meeting in September 2015 and the Environment Agency's response to the Environmental Impact Assessment Scoping Opinion. EDF have launched a new website to keep you up to date on their consultation process. (updated 30.8.16).
- Keep an eye on progress on Thorpeness Coastal Protection (updated 1.1.16), and if you're concerned about looking after the Alde & Ore Estuary see what's being done on the Environment page or get involved with other A&O Estuary Partnership activities. Their Estuary Plan has been approved and work will begin on the Aldeburgh River Wall. (updated 17.6.16)
- Check the Charities page if you'd like to take part an event, donate furniture, volunteer for St Elizabeth's Hospice, or otherwise help the Hospice and other Charities (updated 12.10.16 with a new challenge!) and keep up with Aldeburgh & Thorpeness Rugby Club's progress. The Parrot & Punchbowl Inn and the Dolphin Inn each have Petanque teams and matches are played at both venues.
- Join Neighbourhood Watch and read the Neighbourhood Watch Information page which tells you how to track crime in the area and gives you advice from the Police.
Let us know what you're arranging so it can be included on the website. If you have any news or items of interest don't forget to email them to email@example.com or use the Contact form below.
There's plenty to do in the Parish so make sure you check the Events page - something for everyone!
Take a look at the Gallery - there are some interesting photographs of the parish. There are more on the Parish Past pages of the website, as well as local history. If you have anything we'd all like to see please send it to the Parish email address - firstname.lastname@example.org or use the Contact form above.
Can't find what you want? Use the Search... box at the top of each page.
Have you seen the latest Parish Newsletter?
Mrs Pippa McLardy has kindly taken on the role of editing the Parish Newsletter and we look forward to reading forthcoming issues. We appreciate her volunteering her services. We are very grateful to Peter Knight who produced the last three issues of the Newsletter. Contributions to the Newsletter, published three times a year, are welcomed - see this page for details on how to submit them.
The Parish Magazine is produced each month by Mrs Pat Challis. The magazine includes information relating to the villages in the three Parishes within the Whinlands Benefice - Aldringham-cum-Thorpe, Knodishall and Friston. The copy date for the magazine is around the middle of each month (usually 16th - 18th) for publication the following month. If you would like something to be included in the magazine you can contact Mrs Challis by email: email@example.com.
N.B. Emails to the website do not go directly to the Parish Council, but are forwarded as necessary.
If you wish to contact the Parish Council more quickly please do so via the Parish Clerk or a Councillor.
Aldringham-cum-Thorpe Parish Council